Muhahahahoho….. These were evil winter laughs when it saw your face in the morning when you were looking at 20-inch snow in front of your house. After few coffees, you get dressed, wear your best gloves. After you got dressed, you went to the garage or another place where you keep your tools. Then you grab your old, rusty, half-broken snow shovel and start shoveling that 20-inch snow.
After few feet, you are exhausted because of that old snow shovel which can hold only 2 pounds of snow and even then bends like plastic pice in 100-degree sun.
That’s it. You say to yourself – I need a new snow shovel. And this time it won’t be a 4$ shovel from a local store, but a good shovel that will last at least three seasons. But then you think – which snow shovels are really good? Maybe I should look on the internet. And boom, you are here, reading the best gardening newspaper which wrote about the best snow shovels and all you have to do – choose.
Shovel Smarter, Not Harder – Snow Joe says like that. It’s true because 80% of shovelers do not know how to shovel properly. This shovel claims to be Strain-Reducing Snow Shovel, and it’s true because of its second handle which helps to toss snow out of the shovel.
I would recommend this shovel for people who have back pain. Snow Joe shovel’s second handle is spring-loaded and ergonomic and helps to return the shovel, ready for the next load quickly. Snow Joe shovel has:
- Ergonomic and comfortable, D-ring grips
- Technology which helps to throw 3x more snow than usual shovel
- 18-inch shovel blade with heavy-duty aluminum wear strip
- It weighs only 2 pounds
Some boring but useful specifications:
- Ergonomic Bent Handle
- Galvanized Steel Wear Strip
- Ribbed Steel Core handle
- Blade 18-by-12-inch
- Length 52.5-inches
At first, it looks weird. Like a broken shovel. But after you have tried it, and you feel that it’s awesomely easy to shovel with it, your mind will change those thoughts. Anyway – it’s definitely worth the price. It’s almost unbreakable and galvanized metal wear strip will make this shovel last at least 5-6 years.
The curved handle helps your back when you have a massive load to throw. The company ships them fully assembled so you won’t need any screws or tools to start using them.
Another excellent snow shovel from Snow Joe. This shovel is quite impressive because it’s transparent. It’s made from a non-stick, shatter-proof poly material, and also wear strip is made from durable poly. I have never seen a transparent shovel before, but somehow I think it can be quite useful because you can see what you are shoveling.
I’m not sure how can it be helpful, but in my mind, it keeps repeating that – it’s a must-have thing. Shovel ships in 4-pieces and you need to assemble it by yourself, but this 4-piece system is fantastic, you can take your shovel everywhere, in your car even. The only con about this shovel is that it always feels that it will come apart, but it never does. It’s really durable.
Very comfortable shovel. It has a poly blade and ergonomic curved Aluminum Hande with ergo Versa- Grip. You can hold this shovel in many many ways and find that comfortable position you need. Ohh and it’s an 18-inch shovel by the way. Some users are saying that it’s perfect for shoveling manure, some likes to shovel snow and someone shovels sand with it. Because it’s a comfortable, durable, and must-have tool!
Image the simplest snow shovel. Now open your eyes and look at Suncast SC2700 20-Inch Snow Shovel. Yep, that’s the shovel you imagined. It’s a casual, simple shovel with a non-stick graphite blade, galvanized steel wear strip, steel core handle, and a durable plastic shovel. It does not feel cheap.
It’s very very durable and feels great when throwing a huge snow piles. For this price if you want a simple snow shovel, that’s it, search no more.
Garant is one of the most well-known manufacturers of hardware and tools. They have been in the business for a long so that’s why we have placed them on the top.
The Garant Snow Shovel has some very distinct characteristics that aren’t quite common otherwise.
Characteristics of Garant snow shovel
- 30-inch wide stainless steel blade that means it can move a considerable amount of snow at a time.
- A single sheet of highly durable steel that allows maximum snow to be cleared without giving in.
- Small stripes of steel, as well as supports, add to the strength and performance of the snow shovel.
- A handle with a D-shaped grip allows more adaptability for the user.
- A polished hardwood handle that serves the purpose well of providing comfort.
- It is a lot more durable than other snow shovels in the market because of the high quality steel it is made up of.
- It also has a lot more capacity to push snow as it is 30 inches wide and also can bear weight.
- It is actually a heavy-duty shovel. Customers are reported to push up to 17’’ of snow using it.
- The only visible con is Garant snow shovel is its manual functions especially when many of the others in the market are automatic.
7. Toro 38361 Power Shovel 7.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower
When you talk about automated shovels that are also more powerful as well as are easy to operate, then Toro Power snow shovel is the one to look for.
It is the best brand in the USA that deals with automatic snow shovels run over electricity. And unlike the others, it is quite fast as well.
Toro Power snow shovel has the capacity to shovel snow at the rate of 300 pounds per minute which means it is many folds faster than the manual working of course. Even though it weighs just 13 pounds, still it possesses great features.
It gives you faster means of snow removal and employs two curved blades powered by a motor to remove snow.
Characteristics of Toro Power snow shovel
- Leading manufacturer of electric snow shovels in the United States
- A shovel powered by a 7.5 Amp motor that helps you clean up your alleys and walkways with ease.
- Is remarkably fast as it cleans up snow up to the rate of 300 pounds per minute.
- Is also very durable as it is made up of heavy-duty plastic that can bear substantial weight as well.
- Just about 13 pounds, it is the perfect weight to be used easily by anyone.
- It also comes with a 2-year warranty which means it is definitely going to last much longer.
- The motor, the blades, and the steel employed anywhere in the making of the shovel is stainless, rust-less steel.
- It is a lightweight machine and is a lot easy to use as well.
- Operator handle can be adjusted as per requirement
- The cord is locked just close to the handle to ensure power isn’t cut off.
- It is very easy and almost free to maintain as it doesn’t require any special lubricants to function well.
- Being operated by electricity only is a con especially during harsh conditions and power failure, it is not recommended.
Available in 3 bright colors, the AAA Red Aluminum Sports utility shovel weighs just around 1.3 pounds which is extremely lightweight. The length of the snow shovel handle can be readjusted from 25 inches to 32 inches as desired by the user.
Surprisingly, it is made of aluminum not stainless steel in the case of various other shovels and that makes a difference straight away.
Characteristics of AAA Red Aluminum Snow Shovel
- Due to the usage of high quality aluminum in place of heavy steel, this aluminum shovel is very lightweight.
- It weighs around 1.3 pounds which is about 4-5 times lighter than the other snow shovels in the market.
- Its length is customizable. You can change it from 25-32 inches as desired keeping in view the task.
- It is not one whole chunk of aluminum but rather it is 3 pieces joined together that can be stored separately as well.
- It is highly recommended for day-to-day usage as it is also one of the bestsellers in its category at Amazon.
- It is extremely lightweight so is easy to use even for young lads.
- It can be stored in 3 constituent parts which means it is customizable too.
- It is very useful in emergency conditions as it has all the prerequisites of being available on demand.
- While being in 3 parts makes it easy to store, it also means you have more chance of it being snapped. It is reported quite often.
- It is lightweight so it can operate only lightweight. Don’t expect it to work under heavy-duty circumstances
Characteristics of a really good snow shovel
Picking up a good snow shovel wasn’t even a Herculean task before nor is it now. You just need a simple insight on how it works to understand the main characteristics of a good snow shovel.
A few of which are the following:
A good snow shovel should always be durable as it is really not expected that you will go out and buy a new one after just a few weeks. When we talk of durability, we usually take into account the kind of wood used in the shovel or whether the quality of steel is substantial or not.
If you are looking for the best snow shovel for you, then be sure that you buy a lightweight one. Honestly speaking, you won’t be even anywhere near comfortable pushing and removing snow with a heavier shovel. If the material used in snow shovel is good, then definitely it would also be lightweight. See, it’s related.
Wider at the base:
If you want the work to be speedy, then make sure you buy a shovel that is comparatively wider at the base. Of course, more surface area means more snow will be removed off the way in one push. However, it again questions the durability of the snow shovel especially how much weight can be bored by the handle.
The sheath on the handle:
A snow shovel definitely means some good deal of work! So go for the shovel which has a sheath of rubber or synthetic material on the handle so that pushing the snow no longer means a tedious job. The sheath also ensures added protection to your hands.
Longer handle: You haven’t studied Physics but I have! So I suggest you to look for snow shovels with longer handles as they will surely reduce the force required to push snow due to longer movement arms.
Select your shovel by yourself!
It all depends on what are you looking for and what are your requirements for a snow shovel.
Let me tell you a snow shovel works equally well with moving sand or snow depending on what shape they have.
- If you have a shovel with a 30-inch wide blade, then just shovel snow with it. It will help you in pushing and throwing snow with it but necessarily not mud or sand. They are mostly made up of synthetic plastic.
- Aluminum-made shovels are also quite trendy in the market. If you have one then it is quite good as they are efficient as well as rustproof.
- We seriously don’t advise scraper shovels. They are good at removing ice or snow but they leave off marks and impressions on the pavement as well.
- Round nose shovels are highly recommended. They not only clean up the snow but also shovel what is left in narrow cracks without leaving marks on the surface.
- If you have frosted snow or hard ice outside your house or on your porch, we recommend you to go for the square-nosed shovel as it is the best in shoveling and scrapping.
- Another type is the 24-inch wide shovel which is quite good in pushing but you can’t shovel easily especially if the shovel is made up of metal.
Manual VS Automatic Snow shovels
Another most asked question is which shovel is better; manual or automatic.
Well, I am okay with both but the case can be different too. If it doesn’t snow much in your area or it snows but that isn’t too hard to be shoveled, go for the manual one. Also, keep in mind your physical health in this case. You must be muscular enough to work with a manual snow shovel.
However, an automatic snow shovel is definitely a luxury! If you want the work to be done fast and efficiently without much physical effort, then go and buy an automatic shovel. It may be a little more costly but I guess it’s okay as long as it serves the purpose. But, don’t only rely on it. Keep a manual one as a backup in case it snows and power lines are disconnected.
In the end, the only thing that matters is your requirement. How often it snows and how much it snows. It also depends upon the fact if you need a manual one or an automatic one.
In either case, just go through the products and buy the one which you think will serve the purpose better for you.